This easy to make salad is great to make ahead of time! You can even add the dressing before hand because it doesn’t get soggy and mushy and stays well for a few days. The key to this salad is massing the kale–yes massaging haha!
Watch this video here on how to do that:
Try adding different things like goat cheese, quinoa or even garbanzo beans! It also has great nutritional benefits. It’s loaded with Vitamin C, Antioxidants, Vitamin K and so much more. This is the perfect salad for summer lunch at the pool, the beach, your favorite picnic spot, or work.
Author: Colleen Kennedy
Recipe type: Salad
- 1 head of kale
- 1½ TBS grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup slivered almonds
- Salt & pepper
- Balsamic Lemon Vinaigrette
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- Salt & pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar (or honey)
- Wash and dry your kale. (Simply blot dry with paper towels, or use a salad spinner.)
- Slice the green leaves from the stems. Discard the stems, which are too tough to enjoy. Chop kale into bite-sized pieces/ribbons and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle 1-1/2 TBS oil over the kale and massage the kale for 60-90 seconds. Season with a sprinkle of salt & pepper and set aside.
- In a lidded jar, combine the vinaigrette ingredients – vinegar, oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper & sugar. Shake vigorously until emulsified. Taste and adjust to your preference, if necessary. Set aside.
- Grab your bowl of massaged kale, add in the cranberries, carrots & almonds. Drizzle with vinaigrette and toss well.
This salad is just as delicious the next day if kept refrigerated in a sealed container. Kale holds up way better than lettuce once its is dressed.